Heart Of Midlothian 2 Hibernian 1

A goal either side of half-time was enough for Hearts to see of a determined but largely toothless Hibs side at Tynecastle.

Derby matches are traditionally high-energy encounters and this game was no exception.

Within the first five minutes Hibs had Derek Riordan booked for a late challenge on Robbie Neilson and Hearts clipped the post courtesy of Graham Weir, and the supporters had only just sat down.

Nine minutes in Hibs had the clearest chance of the half when Riordan place a 25-yard free-kick just wide of Hearts' right hand post, with Craig Gordon struggling to cover.

It was Hearts who made the breakthrough though. A Joe Hamill cross found Kevin McKenna at the back post and his header across goal was punched to the edge of the box where Patrick Kisnorbo made no mistake in firing into the roof of the net to give Hearts the lead.

The rest of the half went downhill and became quite scrappy as both sides lacked the killer ball, with Hibs in particular finding it hard to break through a well organised home defence.

It wasn't without spark though, as Paul Hartley followed Riordan into the book and Ian Murray appeared to strike out at McKenna - but despite the fans protests nothing came of it.

The second half followed the same pattern as the first with both teams searching for a final ball.

Hibs received help from Andy Webster who ten minutes in headed tamely across goal to Riordan who lifted the ball over Gordon, but onto the roof of the net.

The Jambos should then have made it 2-0 but McKenna could only hit the side netting.

They didn't have long to wait though as ten minutes later Hamill rounded off a good move by turning the ball across goal and into the net.

Hibs were shaken but Guillaume Beuzelin came close with a half-volley before a David Murphy cross fell to Riordan, who drilled the ball into the far corner to make for a frantic last few minutes.

He could have stolen a point for Hibs in injury-time but his free-kick was tame and Gordon collected it comfortably to seal the win for Hearts.