Aberdeen 3 Hibernian 0

Aberdeen eased to victory against a surprisingly lack-lustre Hibernian side at Pittodrie.

However, the first opportunity of the game went to the visitors in the ninth minute. Derek Riordan found space down the right before looping in a high cross which held up in the wind, allowing Ian Murray to nip ahead of Michael Hart but his volley from eight yards went narrowly over the bar.

In the 11th minute Aberdeen went ahead with almost their first attack of the game. Richard Foster won a corner which was swung into the box by Chris Clark and onto the head of Russell Anderson who guided his effort into the corner of the net.

Two minutes later it got even better for the Dons when Foster picked the ball up 35 yards from goal and evaded two challenges before unleashing a fierce shot which came back of the chest of Simon Brown.

Darren Mackie headed the ball goalwards but Brown was able to fingertip the ball onto the crossbar. However, with the Hibs defence in disarray, Noel Whelan coolly headed the rebound into the unguarded net.

In the 19th minute a fine ball from Guillaume Beuzelin released Garry O'Connor in on goal but Ryan Esson got down smartly to his right to parry the ball away to safety.

Four minutes later Foster tried his luck from distance, this time cutting the ball just over the top from the angle of the box.

In the 25th minute Hibs almost got back on terms when O'Connor found the feet of Scott Brown inside the box. He turned on a sixpence before firing a shot across goal and just wide of the upright with Esson beaten.

Just before the interval Hibs went close again when Stephen Glass fed the ball in to Derek Riordan who in turn found O'Connor. His curling shot beat Esson but came back off the post.

Hibs started the second half as they had finished the first, taking the game to the hosts. However the Dons defence stood firm and it took until the hour mark before the visitors created a scoring opportunity.

An O'Connor pass found Scott Brown who carried the ball into the area before seeing his shot charged down by Alexander Diamond.

In the 68th minute the home side were dealt with a blow when Kevin McNaughton sustained a facial injury and was immediately replaced by Phil McGuire.

In the 77th minute Hibs went close again when Russell Anderson committed a needless foul just outside the area.

Former Dons star Glass curled in an effort that Esson was just able to turn over the bar.

Aberdeen wrapped up the game with seven minutes left when Scott Severin's pass was taken down by Foster inside the box. He was upended by Gary Caldwell's leaving referee Kevin Toner no option but to point to the spot.

Darren Mackie took the responsibility taking the penalty kick, sending Simon Brown the wrong way for his 11th goal of the season.