Aberdeen 3 Hibernian 1

Last updated : 02 December 2007 By Footymad Previewer
A makeshift Aberdeen side thoroughly deserved their comfortable 3-1 victory over a strangely lacklustre Hibernian.

The Dons bossed the game for the whole 90 minutes, threatening the opposition into giving up possession all over the park.

This must have pleased manager Jimmy Calderwood, particularly after the gruelling exertions of Thursday's UEFA Cup trip to Atletico Madrid.

Hibs boss John Collins can take little positives away from the game. Indeed it probably emphasises the importance of absent skipper Rob Jones.

The big centre-back was not only sorely missed in defence but also the influence he has on other players around him.

Dons strikers Chris Maguire and Lee Miller linked well after eight minutes before the latter played in Barry Nicholson, who advanced to around 35 yards out before thundering in a tremendous shot which Yves Makaba-Makalamby did well to parry at the expense of a corner.

A free-kick whipped in by David Murphy on 17 minutes caused real panic in the home rearguard with both Steven Fletcher and Mickael Antoine-Curier needing the merest of touches at the far post to open the scoring.

On 22 minutes Aberdeen produced the best move of the game so far.

Michael Hart fed the ball wide to Derek Young whose deep cross found the head of Miller. He cushioned the ball back into the path of the on-rushing Nicholson only for his header to fly just over.

However, it was the visitors who took the lead against the run of play minutes later.

Aberdeen centre-backs Lee Mair and Richie Byrne were caught napping which allowed Merouane Zemmama to pick out Fletcher, who composed himself before slamming a left-foot shot beyond Jamie Langfield.

Aberdeen were deservedly back on terms on 33 minutes when Richard Foster and Chris Clark combined brilliantly down the left for the latter to hang the ball up at the far post where striker Miller gleefully headed home.

The Dons ought to have gone ahead on 35 minutes when Young drove to the byline before cutting the ball back to teenager Maguire only for him to somehow screw his shot high over the crossbar.

Aberdeen were awarded a free-kick on 47 minutes when Chris Hogg needlessly upended Maguire.

From the resultant kick the home side took the lead when Clark's effort deflected off Lewis Stevenson and looped over Makaba-Makalamby and into the corner of the net.

A slip by Stevenson minutes later almost cost the visitors another goal, but goalkeeper Makalamby did well to hold a fierce 16-yard Maguire effort.

At the other end, Zemmama was on the end of a poor near clearance but his powerful shot from 25 yards flew straight into Lanfield's midriff for a comfortable save.

Aberdeen looked to have killed the game off after 63 minutes when Maguire stepped inside Murphy before driving a dangerous cross into the area which firstly Miller and then Clark only just failed to hit the target.

But the Dons made the points safe on 86 minutes when the visitors were slow to react to a short free-kick from Nicholson.

He rolled the ball across to Young whose low strike from 22 yards beat Makalamby at his near post.