Celtic 1 Hibernian 1

Last updated : 22 December 2007 By Footymad Previewer
Celtic stumbled again at home in what developed into a pulsating match against managerless HIbernian.

The home team had to come from behind after David Murphy put the visitors ahead early on.

Substitute Jiri Jarosik drew the Bhoys level 12 minutes from time but, despite Jan Vennegoor of Hesselink hitting the post late on, Hibs deservedly hung on for a share of the points.

Although this result put Celtic three points clear of Rangers, the Ibrox team now have three games in hand.

Celtic dominated the early stages and Scott Brown surged through a static Hibs defence, before striking a powerful shot which keeper Yves Makaba-Makalamby did well to turn behind for a corner.

Rob Jones managed to block Aiden McGeady's shot before Brown's cutback to Scott McDonald was intercepted by Kevin McCann, although the midfielder might have done better to shoot.

Hibs took the lead from their first proper attack pf the game.

Guillaume Beuzelin's superb crossfield pass found Murphy who advanced from the halfway line before playing a clever one-two at the edge of the box with Abdessalam Benjelloun.

The wing-back gathered the return ball before thrashing his shot home off the underside of the bar from 16 yards.

Merouane Zemmama then nearly caught keeper Mark Brown off his line with a magnificent 40-yard shot, after Steven McManus gave away possession cheaply.

Hibs should have increased their lead when Zemmama played in Benjelloun, but the striker was crowded out.

Celtic surged forward in search of a equaliser and McDonald curled his shot just past.

Substitute Derek Riordan fired a free-kick across the six-yard line, before Vennegoor of Hesselink glanced his header against the base of a post.

Celtic went close after the break when Brown was too quick for Jones, but his shot on the turn rolled inches wide.

Hibs threatened when Brian Kerr's looping header was touched over by Brown and the Celtic keeper, moments later, saved bravely at the feet of Benjelloun.

Hibs were pinned back for long spells and Celtic substitute Jarosik eventually equalised when he coolly sidefooted home Vennegoor of Hesselink's clever lay-off.

Despite five minutes of injury time, Celtic could not find a way through and had to settle for a point.