Hearts 4 Hibernian 4

Last updated : 02 January 2003 By Footymad Previewer

Bobby WilliamsonÂ’s Edinburgh derby jinx continued as Hibs surrendered a two-goal lead in stoppage time at Tynecastle.

The Hibs manager has now failed to win in four attempts against Hearts and, after 90 minutes of this latest derby, it looked as if he would finally get a victory.

But Hearts substitute Graham Weir scored two goals inside a minute in stoppage time to give Hearts a draw in the most dramatic of Edinburgh derbies.

Hibs made a great start and were gifted the opening goal after 11 minutes. Alan Maybury was short with a backpass to Roddy McKenzie and Derek Townsley nipped in to score the opening goal.

Worse was to follow for Hearts six minutes later when Tom McManus guided a header into the net following a Craig James free kick.

But Hearts fought back and pulled a goal back after half an hour.

Andy Kirk was pulled down in the penalty area by goalkeeper Nick Colgan and, sent off for a similar offence against Partick Thistle on Boxing Day, was fortunate to escape only with a booking.

Steven Pressley kept his cool to slot home the penalty and score HeartsÂ’ 400th league goal against their Edinburgh rivals since hostilities commenced in 1895.

McManus missed a chance to put Hibs further ahead after being set up by Mixu Paatelainen but shot narrowly wide.

Hearts also had an opportunity before half time but Colgan saved well from Mark De Vries.

Steven Boyack had a chance shortly after the break but his effort lacked power and Colgan gathered easily.

The equaliser came in the 62nd minute when De Vries rounded Colgan to score after Kirk had put him through.

Paatelainen sent a header just wide from a James cross 15 minutes from time but it was Hearts who looked more likely to take all three points.

But James made it 3-2 with a left-foot shot in the 88th minute and then Pressley handled the ball in the area on the stroke of full time.

Paatelainen's spot-kick was saved but substitute Grant Brebner thumped home the rebound to make it 4-2 to Hibs.

Incredibly, Hearts came back with two opportunist strikes from Weir to nab a point.