Hibernian 2-0 Aberdeen- Match Report

Hibernian leave it late to shock Aberdeen

Hibernian ended Aberdeen's 100 per cent domestic record this season with a stunning 2-0 victory in the Scottish League Cup.

Late strikes from Jason Cummings and Dominique Malonga ensured that the Championship outfit will have their name in the hat for Monday's quarter-final draw.

There had been little between the sides in a well contested clash until Cummings hit the target with a half-volley in the 82nd minute.The striker was then replaced by Malonga and the Congo international notched a stunning solo effort six minutes later.

Dons manager Derek McInnes was also left counting the cost of injuries to Graeme Shinnie and Willo Flood after the pair hobbled off in the first half. Aberdeen started brightly but it was Hibs that had the early chances

Dons goalkeeper Danny Ward made a comfortable save to collect Cummings' effort from outside the area after seven minutes.The on-loan Liverpool keeper was then a relieved man three minutes later when his attempted clearance cannoned off team-mate Ash Taylor with Cummings in pursuit But Andrew Considine mopped up the danger.

Hibs midfielder Liam Henderson then swept a free-kick over the bar from just outside the area before home keeper Mark Oxley got down to Adam Rooney's shot inside the box just after the half-hour mark.

Aberdeen appeared to lose some of their shape after being forced into the two changes as the home side enjoyed a sustained period of pressure.

Ward was again forced into action to save a low Martin Boyle drive from 25 yards.A counter-attacking charge after the restart led to Aberdeen's best chance of the game but substitute Peter Pawlett could not keep his header down from Niall McGinn's delivery.

Cummings then tormented Considine during a charging run that took him deep into the Dons box but the Hibs forward failed to dig out the killer pass.

Hibs came again through Boyle and when his shot was deflected back to Dylan McGeouch on the edge of the box, the midfielder fired a volley wide.But the hosts finally broke the deadlock when Cummings chested down Lewis Stevenson's cross on the edge of the area before drilling a first time left-footed drive past Ward.

Malonga made sure of the victory when he was allowed to stroll into the Dons box before slotting the ball into the net

Source : PA

Source: PA