Livingston 1 Hibernian 0

Last updated : 17 January 2004 By Footymad Previewer

A piece of quick thinking from Lee Makel was enough to give Livingston all three points against a lacklustre Hibs.

Makel took advantage of a David Fernandez flick after 25 minutes to shoot home for the only goal of the game.

Hibs tried in vain for the equaliser but were denied by the woodwork and some fine goalkeeping from Roddy McKenzie.

Hibs threatened first and Kevin Nicol picked out Derek Riordan at the back post but the angle was too tight and the young striker could only find the sidenetting.

The same combination worked shortly afterwards, but this time Riordan's flashing volley was marginally too high.

Hibs lost the services of midfield player Kevin Thomson midway through the first half after a challenge from Makel caught him just above the shin.

Steven Whittaker had another decent effort for Hibs, but McKenzie had his shot covered and saved comfortably.

Livingston took the lead against the run of play after 25 minutes with a cleverly-worked goal which was to prove decisive.

An overhead flick from Fernandez caught the Hibs defence flat-footed and Makel raced through to lob the ball over the head of Daniel Andersson.

Hibs hit back and a left-foot shot from Scott Brown was clutched well by McKenzie after his defence had opened up invitingly.

Fernandez was unfortunate not to steer a header on target after good work from Jamie McAllister.

But the home side had a let-off on the stroke of half-time when Riordan wriggled clear of the Livingston defence but his head hit the underside of the crossbar and Jarkko Wiss could not take advantage of the loose ball.

McKenzie produced another fine save to prevent a head-flick from Colin Murdock creeping in under his crossbar three minutes into the second half.

Makel almost made it 2-0 moments later when his chip from the edge of the box caught out Andersson but was just a foot too high.

Hibs came close late on when a flick from Scott Brown after a free-kick from Riordan had McKenzie at full stretch as he kept his goal in tact.

Livingston almost snatched a second goal in injury time, but Davie McNamee's low shot drifted wide.